What's New in Mission Investing?
Recent Blog Posts
What is Mission Investing?
The illustration is a rendering of The F. B. Heron Foundation's Mission-Related Investment Continuum.
Mission investments are made by foundations and other mission-based organizations to further their philanthropic goals. Mission investments (like impact investments) include any type of investment that is intended and designed to generate both a measurable social or environmental benefit and a financial return. Mission investments include:
- Mission-related investments (MRIs) that are expected to generate a market-rate financial return on investment comparable to an ordinary investment of a similar type and risk profile. They are designed to have a positive impact while contributing to the foundation’s long-term financial stability and growth.
- Program-related investments (PRIs) or other concessionary (below-market rate) investments that are primarily made to achieve programmatic rather than financial objectives.
*Impact investments are investments made by any type of investor with the intention of generating both a measureable social or environment benefit along with a financial return. Impact investors include, but are not limited to individuals, foundations, institutions and funds. Impact investing is sometimes used to describe any investment that considers environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors, as well as shareholder advocacy and/or screening.
Learn more here.
The McKnight Foundation’s redesigned website serves as a resource for others in the philanthropic community hoping to break into or expand mission-aligned investing. Detailing a practical investment framework that can be scaled based on the resources available, it helps impact investors flex their endowment’s muscle. (read more)
Published with Mission Investors Exchange
Explore the Guide here.
Browse Mission Investors Exchange-published resources here.
- For #benefitCHI impact platform, a community advisory council will bring on-the-ground dynamics in region to decisions for funding #impinv — April 25, 2016
- Great news for the broader #impinv community and #Chicago. #foundations #philanthropy #socent https://t.co/gYm97a3LZJ — April 25, 2016
- New platform will tackle barriers making it hard for #impinv https://t.co/ihknHiqKuh @macfound @calvert_fdn @ChiTrust #benefitCHI — April 25, 2016
- Speculation about #MIE16 speaker as candidate for VP - Deval Patrick will be in @MissionInvest plenary #impinv https://t.co/NH3hEtfxDO — April 25, 2016
- Good for #foundations! More (21st century) PRI examples set by IRS. https://t.co/8yTrTGNgAU #impinv https://t.co/wicFaHz8QB #philanthropy — April 21, 2016