What's New in Mission Investing?
Recent Blog Posts
What is Mission Investing?
The illustration is a rendering of The F. B. Heron Foundation's Mission-Related Investment Continuum.
Mission investments are made by foundations and other mission-based organizations to further their philanthropic goals. Mission investments (like impact investments) include any type of investment that is intended and designed to generate both a measurable social or environmental benefit and a financial return. Mission investments include:
- Mission-related investments (MRIs) that are expected to generate a market-rate financial return on investment comparable to an ordinary investment of a similar type and risk profile. They are designed to have a positive impact while contributing to the foundation’s long-term financial stability and growth.
- Program-related investments (PRIs) or other concessionary (below-market rate) investments that are primarily made to achieve programmatic rather than financial objectives.
*Impact investments are investments made by any type of investor with the intention of generating both a measureable social or environment benefit along with a financial return. Impact investors include, but are not limited to individuals, foundations, institutions and funds. Impact investing is sometimes used to describe any investment that considers environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors, as well as shareholder advocacy and/or screening.
Learn more here.
Join Mission Investors Exchange at the Council on Foundation's Annual Meeting, April 26-28 in San Francisco.
Sessions for mission investors include:
- Impact Investing – The Nuts & Bolts (Sponsored by Mission Investors Exchange)
- Impact Investing – The Next Ten Years (Sponsored by Mission Investors Exchange)
- The Elephant in the Room: What Are You Doing with Your Corpus and How to Approach Impact Investing in Your Family Foundation? (Family Foundation Programing)
- Engaging the Next Generation: Divest/Invest Philanthropy Helps Do Just That! (Family Foundation Programing)
- Impact Investing and Community Foundations: From Idea to Execution (Community Foundation Programing)
Also coming up in 2015...
- A webinar on core elements of mission investing.
- A mission investing guide for small-staffed foundations
- A Mission Investing Institute in Chicago
- A Mision Investing Institute in Atlanta
Published by Mission Investors Exchange
Through voices from the field and an overview of the work, community foundations are invited on a journey through impact investing. Let the Community Foundation Field Guide to Impact Investing: Reflections from the Field and Resources for Moving Forward just be the start of your exploration and activation of new capital tools you find are the right fit for your foundation. The guide's three main sections are (1) Learn, (2) Design and (3) Activate. The guide, published by Mission Investors Exchange and the Council on Foundations, includes 14 case examples from community foundations.
Strategies to Maximize your Philanthropic Capital: A Guide to Program Related Investments is Mission Investors Exchange's first publication. Published in 2012, it's a comprehensive primer to understanding and making program-related investments. This 44-page primer was commissioned by Mission Investors Exchange, authored by Linklaters LLP and underwritten by The Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Explore all Mission Investors Exchange-published resources.
- Seeking an #impinv boot camp? Mission Investing Institute: Chicago @macfound, May 12-14, space is limited: http://t.co/WOWkv07C3s — April 17, 2015
- Gov. @DevalPatrick takes #impinv role @BainCapital, will speak in Chicago next week http://t.co/gJpXP6MBrM via @danprimack @SachaPfeiffer — April 17, 2015
- #FF Impact Capitalism Summit partners @FBHeron @macfound @hcapllc @IAimpactassets @thomsonreuters. Info: http://t.co/SUphlRPFkv #impinv — April 17, 2015
- Matthew Welch @SASB discusses their metrics for environmental, social and governance (ESG) #impinv - http://t.co/cVH86OshgC via @FBHeron — April 17, 2015
- Welcome! See you at next week's Impact Capitalism Summit http://t.co/3b1wwXYkRw MT @DevalPatrick joining @BainCapital to focus on #impinv — April 16, 2015